Sunday, August 5, 2012

Three Weeks and Change: 24 Days to Departure

With just over three weeks 'til I make my way South I'm still prepping, but overall, I'm ready to roll. 


24 days and counting, 22 days of walking.  


My mind has been set on taking this journey for nearly a year. October 1st 2011 at 12:30AM I walked among the tents at Dewey Square. I saw folks huddled under tarps on the soaking ground in the pouring rain.  Maybe it's the rain, on a night just like tonight just under a year ago, my world abruptly shifted, and expanded. 


Hundreds came together at Dewey with the common understanding that our financial system is weighted heavily in favor of a select few.  Gathering under the flag of a level democratic process, that every voice would be heard.  All of us understood that "something" needed to be done, and that by our estimation "nothing was happening".

It took nine months of watching and studying to find out that plenty was already being done, and that progress is slow, always has been, always will be. Without a doubt, the most important thing that I saw is that I am not alone, I am not the only one that wants to live the change. 

Observing Occupy Boston and studying the media response to Occupy Camps from around the country,  I came to the conclusion that I have to speak for myself. My voice will never be articulate as one in a chorus of others.  I have to learn for myself, no one else is going to hand me all of the information, I am responsible for getting the whole story.

Ignorance is not an excuse, as an American citizen I have a responsibility to be aware of the changing laws in my state, and federally.  With 24 days left until departure, my motivations remain the same, now it's time to put my money, or feet, where my mouth is (hopefully not in it).  

Part of me feels like I'm a year too late. My friends at Occupy are tired. They've been fighting their own battles for the last year, here I am stirring things up after the wave has passed. I can only hope that I'm one more drop in a flood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment